Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What mobility means to the disabled: joy, togetherness, community involvement

Column: I cried when I heard about the mobility allowance cut – I can’t take any more: " Yes, it’s tough, but if I could explain to you just what it means to have accessible transport of our own, it still would not portray the happiness, the togetherness, joy it means to both of us. We go shopping on our own, we bring friends with us, we can go anywhere we want to without having to rely on other people. If there was no one around, we would be prisoners in our home.
We won our ‘lotto’ when we got our accessible transport. It also means I can attend meetings outside my town as I am very involved in my community.
...

The Department is taking the view that it was forced to take this action. The Department is not the victim here, the 4,700 people with disabilities and their families are the victims of what can accurately be described as an unprecedented and unannounced withdrawal of vital funding. This comes on top of the general attrition of the recession. I wait in haste to see in four month’s time what the Government will put in place of the Mobility and Disabled Drivers Grant."

'via Blog this'